Friday, July 15, 2011

Confessions of a Bad Blogger

Reading through many other blogs I am fascinated by the level of self cosciousness and introspection required. It seems like the great skill in writing a blog is in writing a lot about very little and frankly when I sit down at the end of another day of rich and diverse paddling experiences I am overwhelmed; I simply dont know where to start and yet I feel that same urge that all bloggers possess - that desire to share something about myself with an often unknown audience.

Today was a wonderful day to be on the ocean, the sky was heavy with serious clouds and the swell had some real weight behind it, the ancient sandstone cliffs of Sydney framed the seascape and concealed the city from veiw creating an illusion of remoteness to add extra drama to the heaving sea. I have no images except those in my minds eye, the camera stayed in my pocket as an open water novice deserved my constant attention.

The last month has seen me often sit down to write a blog about the many and varied places have paddled and the people with whom I have shared the delights of kayaking on the sea, and yet the words never seem to do justice to what really happens.

There was a wonderfull long weekend on the North Coast running Kayak surfing workshops with fellow instructor Karen Dallas and the simple pleasure of watching the smile on paddlers faces when they found themselves carving and sliding on the perfect little waves of Arrawarra Headland.

The deep heavy troughs off Sydney heads with Matt, Shaan and Ian very focused, and cheers all round when Ian rolled saving a tricky rescue in conditions that Matt (a known rough water enthusiast) later rated among the biggest he had ever paddled.

Surfing sow and pigs reef in the middle of Sydney Harbour and watching a refracted swell steepen and obscure a passing manly ferry and the south head lighthouse before engulfing me in a wall of whitewater.

The personal challenge of Greenland rolling at the pool with "the splinter group" - improving my dexterity by solving three dimensional puzzles upside down, underwater and on one breath.

Idyllic calms off Little Beecroft with a group of NSWSKCs best leaders as we push home into the sunset after an afternoon of rescues in rock gardens and wave washed ravines.

Serious training for the North Reef Expedition and the comraderie of planning and preparation.

The many hours of coaching groups and individuals in waves and calms, surf and rocks, sharing the many facets of sea kayaking and respect for the sea.

Maybe one day I will spend less time on the water and more time in front of the computer perfecting my blogs, arranging images and writing in depth technical analysis but then again.........

4 comments:

Arvin said...

I'm Arvin, from a propellers manufacturing company based in Turkey. This is the first time for me to visit your blog, and I can tell how passionate you are about kayaking. I'll be doing some backreading on your entries now!


And p.s., what you wrote here is actually contrary to the title. I don't think you're a bad blogger at all!

Blog at Eris Propellers
Eris Propeller’s Facebook
Eris Propeller’s Twitter

Eastern Horizon said...

There is a particularly narcissistic blogger in your shadow with a camera mounted on his bow (and another on his car dashboard) aimed at his own self-inflated gob who can certainly give you a few tips on writing about nothing of any depth.

Anonymous said...

Hallo Rob! I think you are a very good "bad" blogger, you should not listen to the Eastern comment. I notice also that this critical poster is making a copy boat of the Greenland (see http://easternhorizonkayak.blogspot.com), so perhaps they should be less criticism of others. Copying is bad form.
I enjoy your bad blogs, bad as they are so infrequent.
Best
Hans (Norway).

Anonymous said...

hey Bro
given that you are familiar with the Tahe range you'll know that all of their boats are copies anyway. hahaha